100% of city property taxes abated for 5 years. The purpose of the program is to provide incentives to encourage the construction of new owner-occupied and rental residential housing units, encourage replacement of dilapidated housing structures, and increase future tax revenues in Springfield.
NEW Brown County & Springfield Public Schools are participating jointly in this 5-year (100% tax abatement) program for projects developed within city limits.
Any person who constructs a new single-family home, duplex, multi-family complex, or improves an established dwelling with a remodel/addition and who files application material and seeks formal approval from the city council between January 1st, 2022 and December 31st, 2024 may be eligible to receive 100% tax abatement of the cities real estate taxes based on the proposed improvements for a period of five years provided each of the following are met:
- Property is located within the City of Springfield and zoned properly for the proposed development project.
- The applicant shall not have received other local financial assistance (Tax increment financing, Workforce Housing, Small Cities Development Program, etc.)
- Property taxes are current and paid on time and in full.
- Program approvals must be obtained prior to the start of construction of the new housing development or improvement.
- A Letter requesting abatement for eligible projects addressed to the City Manager/EDA Director, 2 East Central Street, Springfield, MN 56087.
- Legal Description of the subject property, including address and property identification number.
- A site plan and construction plan for the proposed project.
- Submit a copy of the building permit once received.
Contact the City of Springfield at 507-723-3500 to learn more.